Thursday, November 8, 2007

Oh Joy !! Classes Resume!

Last night we resumed our painting class. We did not, however, resume our paintings we started in our first class. Instead we started a still life in order for Marilyn to get us all on the same page. The results are below. It ain't good - as a matter of fact, right now it's rather bad. That said, it is (I hope) going to get better and it will start getting better tomorrow night after I get home from work.




There are white spaces in the body of the image, the fruit in the bowl doesn't look like fruit, the cloth on the table isn't complete and the bowl isn't complete. And there isn't any background, either. But I'm gonna get it there. Try, anyway. When I'm done with this I'm going to do another, hopefully better, piece based on the same image. But I need to do this one first in order to figure out what I need to do differently.

Meantime, below is a photo of a quick sketch I drew one evening while waiting for class to start. It was my first attempt at doing something to explore form and texture.



It is simply the end of a piece of molding, like baseboard or ceiling trim. But it surprised me as it came to life on the page. It was just an idea and I tried it and it seemed to work. That simple little success is what really opened my eyes to what I might be able to do - and how much fun it is to just be able to create an image of something you can see in your mind. Now I'm painting - something I never in my wildest dreams, ever thought I would be able to do. It is, to me, amazing. Or it will be, when it gets better than it is right now.

No comments: