Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The beginning of the second

I have taken the first few steps toward creating my second painting. There have been some decisions made and there are some decisions yet to be made. But the first step has been taken- I have created a 'toned ground'. See below ...



On the right is a blank, white canvas, which I have placed there in order to demonstrate what I have done by toning the ground. The canvas on the left is the beginning of the piece - the 'toned ground'. In the middle of the two is the picture on which I am going to base the painting. This is the only time I'm going to post this picture here (or anywhere). The reason is that this picture is the BASIS for the painting - it will give me direction - but the painting may wind up looking very unlike this picture. I just thought it might be informative to see what I'm starting from.

So I have made two decisions - to publish the picture and to tone the ground with acrylic paint. Another decision I've made is to do the work in oil, not acrylic. The underpainting, which will be next, will be in acrylic, but that's as far as acrylic is going to go in this piece. It's easier to work in oil - and I think it takes more skill than I have right now to work well in acrylic.

As far as decisions which have yet to be made, they involve some technical stuff like 'where am I going to place the horizon line?', 'what elements of the picture am I going to include in the painting?' and 'where are the elements I'm going to include going to be placed?'. Then, of course, there's the decision regarding style - I am going to paint this with heavy, textured strokes (Impasto) - the more impressionist style, or I am going to paint this with thinner, less textured paint in a more realistic style? The subject would seem to lend itself to either style. I'm going to have to think about that. But not very long.

This, by the way, is an element of the first painting which was left out for the sake of simplicity. I suppose it bears mentioning that the first painting is not done yet. I need a break. I will finish it when the time is right.

Comments, as always, are welcome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My third time to try to comment.
I love my Internet connection and blogger :(

Looking forward to see the pictures of the progress of the new one!

And sometimes it's good to step back and take a break to move forward!

(I remember this time to copy the comment, before sending it, sigh...)

Laura Paxton said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Maybe someday I'll get back into painting...in the mean time, 6 kids, 1 cat, 1 husband and a job are enough...after blogging, of course! Thanks for stopping by!

Momisodes said...

Ooooh....I love that photo of the blank canvas, the toned ground and the picture....Very cool :) I'm excited for you and look forward to seeing how this one unfolds...

technomom said...

Well, now I know what it means to tone the ground! I'm in awe of people who can draw or paint.

My partner is right there with you about the ADD mentioned in your bio. He describes the difference between functioning with and without meds as, "like slogging through a mudstorm."

Crimzen Creative said...

Looking forward to watching the progress on the new painting - I have never tried oil and always heard it was more difficult than acrylic so you'll have to let me know. Also, I think you could leave your first painting as is - it's pretty darn awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love your enthusiasm! Oils are fun even though they take a lot longer to dry.

The pictures you choose seem peaceful yet moody - I love them. I'm looking forward to watching the progress of this piece.

frog ponds rock... said...

Oh good.. I am looking forward to watching this painting from the very beginning.. Yay..

cheers Kim..